OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei is no longer associated with the company, and he is moving on to start a new venture, the media has reported. According to a report in the Tech Crunch, Carl Pei, who was instrumental in building the premium handset maker in his 20s, was also the face of the Chinese OEM, has now left the firm.
Carl Pei, along with Pete Lau — the current CEO of the handset maker co-founded OnePlus in December 2013. They launched the OnePlus One smartphone and quickly gained recognition due to the aggressive marketing tactics, which were ideated by Carl Pei who was previously the marketing director at BBK’s other firm Oppo.
TechCrunch on Tuesday reported that Pei had left the company citing two sources familiar with the matter. BusinessLine could not separately confirm the report.
Android Central, later in the day reported that Pei had left the company to start his own venture confirming the TechCrunch report citing sources. The report further said that Pei left OnePlus in recent weeks.
Pei is said to start his own venture after quitting OnePlus. According to TechCrunch, Pei is in talks with investors to raise capital for his venture. Details about the venture are currently unknown. There is also no word on whether the new company headed by Pei will be a smartphone/technology company.
Pei was looking after the successful OnePlus Nord lineup and previously the flagship models from OnePlus. Emily Dai, who is currently in charge of the company’s operations in India, maybe appointed as the head of the Nord product line globally.
Carl Pei and Pete Lau started OnePlus back in 2012 and have led the company from a tiny smartphone brand to one that leads in several markets, including India.
A few months ago, Lau was reassigned to look after product development and planning for Oppo, Realme, and OnePlus.
TechIHD is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@TechIHD) and stay updated with the latest headlines
Follow us for all the latest Technology News.